Saturday, February 14, 2009

Slum Dog Millionaire

SlumDog Millionaire


Two weeks ago a movie review caught my attention. It discussed a British movie: SlumDog Millionaire. The review said this movie depicted two brothers lived in an Indian slum. I immediately decided to watch this movie, since I am insanely missing a novel: Shantaram. Shantaram is written by an Australia novelist, who lived in Bombay for a short period of time. Shantaram tells the experiences of the novelist in Bombay. I love that novel very much. However, I left it in Australia, so I can have more incentives to return to Australia. I missed that novel like crazy, and I am miserable without that novel. I almost had the urge to purchase that book again from Amozon. So How can I miss a movie which also talks about Indian?

After I watched this movie, I felt myself turned into water. I run out tissues to wipe tears.

Living in the modern world means only one thing: You no longer see people, I mean "real people".

We are much polished. We only say right things, and do right things. Our actions have to be effective and politically correct. You need to be polite, thoughtful, and tactical. Your thinking is trained and "refined". You don't make choices anymore, and the right choices are always so obvious. For example, no fastfood, more friends, and more connections. Millions of tips are available on the internet to tell you when you should move forward and when you should give up.

In modern world, your only enemy is yourself, since you are the only person who stops you from doing the right things. We are no longer people. We are running robots, and scripts have been written to smarten us. We are still unique, since most of our scripts are not the same. Small variations though.

The slumdog millionaire is a movie about people. Actually, three of them. Two brothers and one girl. One brother, Jamal, is emotional and has a soft heart. Another, Salim, is cruel and determined.

The world is beatified by person like Jamal. He is a great provider, and he is dedicated to things he loved. He is gentle and friendly. He values nothing except every relationship in life.

The world is often changed by person like Salim. He is determined and brave enough to remove everything on his way. The things he valued are rather dynamic. His only desire is to stay alive which sustains this world, and also changes the destiny of other people.

The girl is what a girl out to be. She is the perfect blind of suppleness and toughness. She is so supple and she never fight for anything. If there is rain, she will be soaked with water. If there is fire, she will be burned. Her character resembles so much of water. She must also have been very tough, since there are many sad things happened to her, and none of them changed her a bit. She wants to stay with Jamal. Although she never fought for it, when opportunities to join Jamal come, she had the courage to walk through fire to get them.

...............The thing really made me cry is the beauty in their characters. Their hearts are beautiful, since they are pure. They are not polluted by the scripts of modern society. I secretly envy them. I knew if I were them, I may have made millions of compromises to find a short cut to escape.........

But after all these years being on the way to escape, I have found that there is no escaping in this world. You just escape from one misery to join another. The only way to walk away from a misery is to embrace it and walk toward the lights.

Maybe, one day, you will really join the world of happiness. Maybe, that is the moment that you can kiss goodbye to a million dollar check and say: Yes, I want to play.

2 comments:

  1. your comment on mitbbs caught my attention, i deeply felt the same way about the movies. yes, there were some disgusting part showing the very negative side of india, i was going to gave up for this movies, but the characters attracted me. i really did not expect this low budget movie could bring any surprise and even bring tears to my eyes -i am an old guy now, i believe my heart is already cold and strong as iron. but when i see jamil joined the girl with a deep scar at the train station at last moment, i just could not resist... this is pure love, the most beautiful feeling of human. we could not see it happening in real life...

    i don't agree your comment on other brother. Salim is just regular human being following his instinct to survive his life. life is so cruel, adam smith's rule applies everywhere, and it's this kind motivation that moves the history and lead to wealth and human destiny (maybe not good one i believe).

    i never comment on other one's opinion, just this movie made me think i need write something. sorry if this does not make you feel happy.

    a bystander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comments, bystander. It is a joy to read your comments. I am glad that we see this movie from the same angle.

    I have to tell you that I like Salim very much. I may have overstated his merits. I think you are right. Collectively, people like Salim may have pushed the human history in a negative direction. That may explain why the quota of happiness is not increased, no matter how hard everybody tried to add to the betterness of the society.

    But I was touched when he saved Jamal from a possible cruel future. He was of course driven by his instincts. But without him, the most beautiful things in the movie will never happen. Thinking about all the blames that he had to carry to survive the beautify things, I forgive him for every sin he committed.

    Thanks again for your comments.

    ReplyDelete