Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bye Bye Professorhood

.




I never imagined that I would work as a professor, since such occupation sounded truly intimidating. In my heart, professors are intelligent and serious. Most importantly, they should be experienced (sugar coated OLD) enough to intimidate students.

Mysteriously I became a professor in 2007. When the first time a student called me a professor, I was astonished and scared. I was so afraid that my students will find out how little I know. In the past two years, I have been called Professor numerous times and most of the time, I was scared. Am I truly a professor? I mean, I am not serious and I was never intimidating, instead I am always intimidated.

The first time I realized that I am truly a professor was six months ago, when a student was crying in my office to beg for a D. That was also the moment that I realized all the nasty things that I did in graduate school had backfired.

...First of all, I did push a number of professors to give me As. Beside my diligence, that was one of the reasons why my GPA was always close to 4.

...Second, I did fall asleep in class a number of times. Actually, I can sleep with my eyes opened.

...Third, I did miss paper deadlines before. But I always managed to get professors to accept my papers.

...Finally, I did complain about certain professors before. They did nothing wrong. I was just frustrated with my own progress in their classes.


OK. To end my professerhood, I formerly apologize to my professors in graduate school....Sorry..I didn't know it was this hard....


* Maybe I should apologize to my students too. Why I never compromised when they were negotiating for a better grade?




.

1 comment:

  1. Kindness is not weakness. Knowledge is not wisdom so one can have knowledge and still be ignorant. Wisdom allows the professor to place more importance on the student than the grade.

    ReplyDelete